African American Inventors for Kids Printable Coloring Book Post Preview: If you are studying about American inventors, Black History in America (and would like some Black History Coloring Pages), or if you just want a fun way to learn a little more about some American figures, you’ll love this free Black Inventors Coloring Book for Kids!
I love it when you can combine learning across the curriculum. In life, we rarely learn about a single subject at once. So, I like when we can do that in school as well. This packet is a fabulous way to combine both social studies (history) and science.
Today, I have a free set of African American inventor coloring pages for kids. The set features ten black inventors and their inventions in coloring areas, as well as a handwriting area and more about their invention(s).
Note: The packet is available much farther down in the post. You’ll find it in the section that begins with the heading “DOWNLOAD THE AFRICAN AMERICAN INVENTORS COLORING PAGES SET HERE.”
If you and your kids (or students) love coloring pages, you might also like some of these:
- 23 Different Designs of Heart Coloring Pages
- Color Your Own Printable Flower Bookmark Set
- Flip Flop Beach Coloring Page
- Free Printable Dinosaur Coloring Sheets (41 Pages)
- Butterfly Coloring Page for Kids and Adults
- Super Cute Ocean Coloring Pages for Kids
- 3 Free Cat Coloring Pages for Kids and Adults
- Simple and Linear Forest Animals Coloring Pages (6 pages)
African American Inventors Coloring Pages Set
While you can use this black inventors printables packet with any age group, I would recommend it for elementary-aged students in particular. However, I think it can easily be used within the whole range of elementary grades, not just younger students.
Since the set is free, you can grab it and then figure out if it’s right for your students or children.
Each page features:
- One African American inventor
- A drawing of the inventor to color
- A drawing of their invention(s) to color
- The inventor’s name in a font that can be traced (or that also can just seem like a decorative font choice, if not traced)
- A description of what they invented
- A border that can be colored in (Printing note: You may have to pick the “fit page” option when printing to be sure the border does not get cut off.)
Extension Activity for Black Inventors Coloring Page Set
For upper elementary students, you could have them pick one of the included inventors to do more research about. This could include writing anywhere from a paragraph to a page, depending on age and ability, about that inventor.
African American Inventors Included in This Set
As I have already mentioned, this set features ten different African American inventors.
This set includes coloring pages/information pages about:
- Alexander Miles
- Alfred L. Cralle
- Annie Turbo Malone
- Garrett Morgan
- George Carruthers
- Granville Woods
- Henry Blair
- Joseph Winters
- Sarah E. Goode
- Marie Van Brittan Brown
Books and Activities about African American Inventors
Before we get to the free download, which can be found farther down in the post, I thought I would offer up some more extension ideas to go with this set. If you prefer to just get the coloring pages, you can keep scrolling for the download section.
Books about Black Inventors
African American Inventors – In this book for upper elementary and middle school students, you can read about a wide variety of black inventors who added so much to the history of America.
Have You Thanked an Inventor Today? – Geared for elementary-aged children, this book follows along a day in the life of a young boy as he notices all the inventions he uses that were created by African American inventors.
African American Women Scientists and Inventors – In this book for upper elementary and middle school students, you can read about a large variety of black women who were inventors and scientists.
Black Heroes: A Black History Book for Kids – While not solely about inventors, this book features fascinating biographies, ideas for more ways to learn, and colorful portraits.
If you’re looking for more book ideas, there is a great post with 20 Fascinating Books about Black Inventors and Scientists at Look! We’re Learning!
Kid World Citizen has an informational post about Six African-American Inventors for Kids.
The African American Inventors Coloring Pages for Kids Printable Set is a free download for personal or single classroom use for Real Life at Home email subscribers.
Important usage notes:
- This packet is for personal home use or single classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including, but not limited to, other blogs and websites, Facebook, Dropbox, Scribd, etc.)
- Graphics have been purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables on my site to try to help other parents and teachers. Your visits to the site help support that. You can also donate if you frequently use free printables from Real Life at Home and feel called to do so.
Download The African American Inventors Coloring Pages Set Here
Other Printables Perfect for Black History Month
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. They don’t change the price you pay. However, when you shop through them, we might receive a small compensation.