The following is from contributing writer Jen @ Forever, For Always, No Matter What
Here are 10 things that every new homeschooler needs to know – some been there, done that tips! Starting on this journey is scary but oh so rewarding. Have joy in your journey and know that you are not alone.
1. There is no perfect curriculum – Don’t spend your every waking moment searching for the perfect curriculum, it’s not out there. You will find methods that work better than others, but nothing is absolutely perfect and will probably take a bit of tweaking here and there.
2. Relationships are more important than books – Sometimes it’s necessary to put aside the books and work on relationships. Homeschooling is a family lifestyle, not just another form of school.
3. Do what works for your family – Keep your eyes on your own work and don’t fall into the comparison trap.
4. Be willing to let some things go – It’s challenging to have a perfectly decorated home, a spotlessly clean home, laundry caught up and a gourmet meal on the table every single day. It’s okay to let one (or more!) of those things go. You haven’t failed as a wife, mom, or teacher.
5. Be flexible – Be willing to put the books away if a friend calls and invites you on a picnic. Be willing to be spontaneous and flexible; it can be some of the best learning days.
6. Set goals – How do you know how far you’ve come if you don’t know where you started?
7. Write a mission statement – Write down your “why” so you can refer to it on those crazy “why am I doing this?” days
8. Expect criticism – Not everyone is going to agree with your decision to homeschool. Be confident you are making the right choice for your family.
9. Everyone feels like quitting at some point – It’s true. Everyone feels like throwing in the towel at some point. Really.
10. Have fun learning together as a family, but every lesson doesn’t need to be fun! – Some things in life just have to be done whether we find them fun or not. Same is true of school. Sometimes we have to buckle down and do hard things.
Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!
Jen blogs at Forever, For Always, No Matter What. She has one amazing husband and six eclectic kids. Stop in for a visit as she blogs about their Catholic faith, homeschooling and adoption, all while trying to fit in exercise and healthy eating. Jen can also be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.