Last week, I found stawberries for $3.88 for a 2 lb clam shells. So, I picked up two packages and planned on making strawberry freezer jam. My Mom made some from strawberries from our garden this summer, but my family had used up all we had, and I missed the sweet and fresh jam.
As it ended up, my Mom and I worked together to make several batches with the 4 lbs of strawberries. (I think it was just about three batches.) She worked on one batch and I worked on the second batch.
It was super easy to make, and you don’t even have to learn how to can to make this jam! You just pop it into many small containers that can be frozen, and throw them in the freezer! (Of course, you’ll need to leave one in the refrigerator instead, so you can enjoy it right away!)
You can also use this recipe to make wonderful homemade jam to give as Christmas gifts!
(I have some important notes below this recipe for some alternate options for preparing.)
Related Reading: Fresh and Easy Homemade Whipped Strawberry Butter Recipe
- 2 cups mashed strawberries (about 1 quart of whole strawberries)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 box powdered fruit pectin
- ¾ cup water
- Stir strawberries (already mashed) and sugar together, mixing thoroughly. Set aside.
- Stir powdered fruit pectin with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for one minute.
- Stir mixtures together until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy. Pour into clean dry containers, filling to within ½ inch of tops.
- Cover at once with tight lids. Let stand at room temperature overnight. (We did it for about 12 hours.) Store in freezer until opened; then store in refrigerator.
I have included an alternate method that doesn't involve any cooking/boiling below.
While my original recipe above calls for powdered fruit pectin, in recent years, I have been using Sure-Jell Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin. You will need lemon juice, but it comes together faster and doesn’t require boiling.
If the amount of sugar in this recipe leaves you a little freaked out, there is also a no or less sugar recipe included with a No Sugar Fruit Pectin package.
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. Using them doesn’t change the price you pay, but we may receive a small compensation for you purchasing through them. Thanks!
Join 25,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year