I wanted to share with you one of my favorite new ways to add fruits, vegetables, and protein to my day: the banana berry almond butter green smoothie. Well, not just this one, really. I’ve been having all kinds of different types of smoothies. But, I have to admit, this one is probably my favorite.
You see, as we began this new year, I decided I wanted to work on some things in my life. They weren’t giant changes, but some little things that I thought would probably help a lot more than the effort that it took to put into them. That’s a return on investment that I like.
One of those things was to find more time to walk. In particular, I decided that I would need to spend at least 40 – 60 minutes of my working day each day (or at least five days a week) walking on the treadmill while working. Another change was to be more deliberate in making sure I was eating fruits and vegetables each day. Enter the smoothie!
I have been loving smoothies as a way to not only add more fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, protein, and fiber to my diet, but also because they are a fabulous way to round out my lunch, since I’m apt to just look around for something quick. And, of course, sometimes they just are my lunch, depending on what I put in them. They have been making me (and my sometimes touchy stomach) happy.
I like smoothies for the ability to throw in what you want and play around with other people’s recipes to best suit your tastes and needs. I’ll share what I like to put in this Banana Berry Almond Butter Green Smoothie, but you can make changes based on what you like and what you have in the house.
Ingredients and Directions for the Banana Berry Almond Butter Green Smoothie
As you’ll see in the recipe below, I have some optional ingredients. They are things I like to add in, but you can pick what sounds best to you for your tastes and needs. (The ground flax seed mention includes an affiliate links, but it was a great deal on it, so I wanted to pass that along.)
Not in the printable recipe below, but I also sometimes first grind up a quarter cup of rolled oats in this.
Banana Berry Almond Butter Green Smoothie
- 1 1/3 cups almond coconut milk though you can use the milk product of your choice
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or your favorite nut butter
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup whole frozen strawberries
- optional 1 scoop of protein powder
- optional 1 - 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- Add all ingredients into your blender. I add them into my blender in the order that is listed in the ingredients. While the order probably isn't vital, at the very least, you should put your liquid in first.
- Begin to blend your ingredients. Since I used frozen strawberries, I switch to the "ice crush" setting briefly once the strawberries hit the blades in order to properly mix them in. Then, continue to blend until the smoothie is at your desired consistency.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
This recipe makes approximately 24 ounces of smoothie, so you can break it up amongst people, if you want. Of course, if you want to make it a meal (or nearly a meal), you can work on the whole 24 oz yourself. (I sometimes share and sometimes do not.)
Okay, so now it’s time for you to grab your blend and mix up your own smoothie! I know that now that I’ve gotten used to making them part of my regular routine, the day just doesn’t seem quite right when there isn’t a smoothie involved!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
Join 40,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year