My Top 10 Homeschooling New Year’s Resolutions is a post by contributing writer Angela Mills of Homegrown Mom.
It’s the time of year when many people are making new year’s resolutions. Homeschooling moms are no exception. It seemed like the right time to make some homeschooling New Year’s resolutions.
- New Year’s Games and Puzzles for Kids Free Printable Packet
- 18 New Year’s Eve Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Fun and Festive Champagne Cupcakes Recipe
- 10 Ways to Make Your Homeschool Day Run More Smoothly
My Top 10 Homeschooling New Year’s Resolutions
1. I will not sleep past seven am.
Except for when I’ve been up all night with a sick kid. Or up all night reading blogs or writing my own blog. Or up all night watching old episodes of Lost trying to figure it out for real this time. Or when I’m just feeling really lazy. Other than that, I mean business.
2. I will not keep every worksheet my child ever completes.
Or, I will come up with an ingenious way to keep everything my kids have ever done, without my husband noticing. Then I’ll sell my secret and be one rich Mommy. Or maybe I’ll give it away for free. What do you think?
- Creative Ways to Save and Display Children’s Artwork
- Homeschool Portfolio in a Binder
- Homeschool Portfolios
3. I will not start curriculum shopping in January.
Of course, that doesn’t mean I won’t start shopping in February.
- How to Prepare to Buy Next Year’s Curriculum
- Choosing Your Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Put Together a Free Homeschool Curriculum
4. I will not beat myself up if we spend a day reading on the couch.
In fact, I will celebrate days spent reading on the couch!
5. I will not be a slave to a checkbox on a list.
Actually, I might even stop making checkboxes. Except for that I probably won’t. Checking a box is so satisfying, isn’t it?
6. Come fall, I will not buy enough school supplies to last our entire school career.
Even if they are only 10 cents each.
In fact, maybe I’ll even take stock of what we already have before shopping next fall.
7. I will not second guess every decision I make.
I will not second guess every decision I make, fearing that my kids will have no one to blame but me if their life goes terribly awry. Cheers to reckless abandon! Hurrah!
- The Hidden Dangers of the Myth of Perfect
- Letting Go of Curriculum Guilt
- Encouragement for the Weary Homeschool Parent
8. I will lose the last five pounds.
What does that have to do with homeschooling? Well, surely I’ll be a better mommy, teacher, wife, and housekeeper with a smaller tush, won’t I? Society doesn’t lie, does it? Does it?
9. I will become one of those homeschool moms that love creepy crawlies and gross out science experiments.
Or maybe I can just hire one to teach my kids to dissect a frog. I will also research and find out just why they need to dissect a frog. Or I’ll find that they don’t need to dissect a frog. Then millions (or at least a few) homeschool moms will thank me. Yes, we’re doing tenth grade Biology. Why do you ask?
10. I will enjoy every second of my kids.
Whether they’re reading sweetly out loud to me, whining about an assignment, wrestling on the couch instead of doing math, or pulling each other’s hair. Because all too soon, my house will be all too quiet.
How about you? What are your resolutions?
Angela can be found breaking all her resolutions at Homegrown Mom
Other Homeschooling Posts You May Love
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. They don’t change the price you pay. However, when you shop through them, we may receive a small compensation.
My Top 10 Homeschooling New Year’s Resolutions was originally published on December 30, 2010. It was updated in December 2018.
Join 20,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year