Heart House Luminary Craft for Kids (with Free Template) Post Preview: In this post, you’ll find step-by-step directions on how to make this sweet house luminary craft with a heart on the front. The heart makes it perfect for Valentine’s Day. The post also includes a template for making the craft.
Of course, just because the house has a heart on it, it doesn’t mean that it has to be for Valentine’s Day. This house luminary craft is perfect for making any time of year. (It could also make a great Mother’s Day luminary craft.)
You could even cut out a shape other than a heart if you want to try a different look.
Heart House Luminary Craft for Kids (with Free Template)
Heart House Luminary Craft Supplies
- Colored craft or printer paper – this craft is shown with bright pink paper
- White or Off White Cardstock
- Sparkly or Glittery foam craft sheet (this is self-adhesive, which I love!) – although you can opt for black or gray cardstock, if you prefer to make a plain roof
- House and Roof Free Printable Template (for personal or classroom use only)
- Craft glue
- LED candle or LED tealight (battery operated)
Heart House Luminary Craft Instructions
Note: Some of the steps will make more sense once you download and check out the free template in the supplies list.
Steps 1 – 3 of the Heart House Luminary Craft: A Bunch of Tracing and Cutting
1. Use white, off-white, or cream-colored cardstock or thick craft paper to make the house. You can either do this by printing the free printable template straight onto your cardstock or print out the template to use as a pattern to try it onto your cardstock.
Set the small heart template cut out aside. Trace the other heart pattern onto a colored craft paper, such as pink paper.
Trace the long part of the roof on cardstock and the two even parts on the glittery foam sheet (or black or gray cardstock, if you go that route).
Unless you have already printed the house directly onto cardstock, trace the house layout on thick craft paper.
2. Place the house cut out on a flat surface and get the small heart template. Trace the small heart pattern on the house layout, making sure to trace it right in the middle of the front side of the house layout.
3. Carefully cut out the traced heart pattern out of the house layout.
Steps 4 – 9 of the Heart House Lantern Craft: It’s Time for Gluing and Assembly Work
4. Take the big heart cut out traced on colored craft paper, which is slightly bigger than the heart cut out on the house. Apply glue around the edges of the big heart.
5. Carefully place the side of the heart that you have just glued onto the heart-shaped hole of the house in order to cover it. You will do this so that the overlap is on the inside of the house once it is assembled. (The cutout heart is larger than the hole so that it will stay in place.) Hold the sides of the heart, where you have glued, to make sure that the heart is firmly attached.
6. Fold the house layout along the dashed lines as shown in the free printable house template.
7. Apply glue along the thin folded portion of the house and attach it to the part next to it to close the sides of the house. The base of the house is finished.
So, now it’s on to step eight to make the roof.
8. Grab the roof cutouts that you prepared earlier. Fold the long piece of the roof cut out (this is the base of the roof) in half to make a roof shape.
Glue the glittery foam sheets onto the roof base – one sheet on each side of the roof.
Note: If you want to skip the sparkly roof, you can just trace your roof base shape onto a black or gray piece of cardstock and fold that in half to make the roof. You can then skip the glittery foam part.
9. Apply glue along the top end of the house structure and place the roof on the top to complete the house. Press the glued and attached parts to make sure that the house and the roof are firmly joined.
10. Turn on your battery-operated LED candle and place the house on the top of it.
Voila! You have completed your super sweet heart house luminary craft!
Projects that You Might Also Love:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. They don’t change the price you pay. However, when you shop through them, we may receive a small compensation.
Join 40,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year