My 17 year old son went through a phase a year or so ago when he would eat a bag of popcorn almost every night. Seriously. A whole bag by himself. He would get mad if I would suggest he share it with one of his siblings – or me!
We were constantly running out of popcorn for our family movie nights, because he would eat it through the week. So, my husband started making his own kettle corn.
Now, his kettle corn is a highly requested special snack for family movie nights or family game nights. And, our extended family requests it when they come for a visit.
World’s Easiest Homemade Kettle Corn Recipe
- 1 cup popcorn
- ½ cup oil (vegetable or coconut)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspons kosher salt
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the popcorn.
- When the oil starts to sizzle, sprinkle the sugar on the kernels.
- Cover the pot, and shake it on the burner while the kernels begin to pop.
- After a few minutes, the popping will slow down.
- Remove the pan from the burner.
- Pour the popped corn into a bowl, and sprinkle with salt.
Enjoy! This popcorn can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days – if it lasts that long!
What’s your favorite movie-night snack?
Join 18,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year