I have a bit of a Pinterest addiction. It wouldn’t be so bad, but I’m not doing nearly as many things as I’m pinning. One recipe (with many variations) that I’ve seen several times is Nutella Hot Chocolate. I think I had to stop myself from pinning it multiple times. I like hot chocolate, and I like Nutella, so in theory – this should be great.
One night, Molly (who loves Nutella more than anyone else in the family) said that she wanted hot chocolate, and I offered to make her and I Nutella hot chocolate instead. Yum!
I have seen a variety of recipes for this, so I just did some combining.
- Anywhere from 2 - 5 Tablespoons of Nutella (For us, five was too sweet, but you can just adjust for yourself. We thought 3 - 4 was pretty perfect.)
- 2 cups of Milk (we used Skim)
- (Optional) A pinch or two of Cocoa Powder - we only added this on the time when we just barely had two tablespoons of Nutella left. Just a little something to add some more chocolate flavor.
- Just add all of the ingredients into a saucepan and whisk until well mixed. (I love that this is whisked like this, because then it avoids the part of hot chocolate that I don't like -- all the stuff at the bottom of the cup. Blech.)
- Heat to desired temperature (and continue to whisk, as needed).
- If desired, top with whipped cream and/or sprinkles. We opted for both.
- Serve immediately or allow time to cool slightly.
One time, while heating the hot chocolate, I turned my head for a minute while it was already getting warm and it frothed up and almost "boiled" over the pan. Keep your eye on it. On the upside, that will also save you from ninjas sneaking up and taking it while you're not looking.
Looking for more recipes? Check out the Real Life at Home Recipe Index!
Join 14,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your family all year