I’ve been wondering what to write for my Top Ten Tuesday this week for a few days now. Nothing was popping into my head, and on Monday afternoon (which is right now for me) it finally came to me when I decided that I should go out onto our screened in porch to write. I got an overwhelming sense of joy at the thought of writing out there. I thought, “Yes, that’s what my topic should be, things that make me happy.”
It’s too easy to get overwhelmed, isn’t it? With stacks of bills, stories on the news that crush our belief in the goodness of humanity, and a constant noise that pervades our society and our lives in the modern age. It’s easy to forget to sit down and look at the things that bring us joy.
So, let me share mine this week. And, maybe you’d like to share yours this week or next week or next month. Whenever. I’d like to read them. For now though, I hope that you’ll like to read mine, which I will note appear in no particular order. There are more, of course. But because it’s Top Ten Tuesday, I’m just going with the first ten I think of.
2. My family. They bring me love, laughter, and happiness. From my immediate family in my home to my parents, siblings and their families, and then on to my more extended family – they all may drive me crazy sometimes, but that’s human nature. I’ve driven them all crazy too. The older I get and the more times that we have that are either the highest of highs or the lowest of lows, the more times I can’t help but acknowledge that I have been pretty blessed in the family that God gave to me.
Okay…should we get a little less philosophical? The big ones are done, that leaves us eight more to be a little less deep.
3. Writing outside. I love it when the weather is nice enough for me to set up camp in our porch to write. In recent years, I haven’t done this as much, because our seating wasn’t necessarily comfortable. But, with the new seating we set up this weekend, I’m thrilled to be out in our cozy porch today.
4. The long days of summer. This is not to be confused with the heat of summer, which I can’t stand. But, I love the long sunny days. My mood is markedly better than in the winter, when I have to sometimes use a light therapy light.
5. A clean house. Again, don’t assume wrongly on this one. I don’t actually like cleaning my house, and I let it go too often. But, I can tell that I’m in a happier mood when it’s all clean.
6. Dr. Pepper from McDonalds in a styrofoam cup. Yes, I know this is specific. But, I’m kind of specific like that.
7. Christmas lights. I love them in the dead of winter on the nights that get dark way too early, and I love white ones used in backyard’s on warm summer evenings.
8. Listening to music while driving. Okay, I like listening to music all the time, but when I’m taking a long drive by myself, it makes me feel more peaceful to listen to music.
9. Being at Disney World. When I told Eric that I couldn’t think of what to write and asked him what made me happy, he looked at me like I was crazy that I had forgotten to say being at Disney World. Man, I just love that place. I love the lead up to going and I love being there. It’s my happy place.
10. Being with my friends. Last, but most certainly not least, is being with my friends. It just fills my soul with joy to hang out with friends. I will often just drop all other commitments to spend time with friends because it means that much to me.
I hope that you’ll also either share some of the things that make you happy here in the comments or maybe even write your own post about it. I can’t wait to read them!
‘); // ]]>
Join 18,000+ Other Awesome People
Subscribe to the Real Life at Home weekly newsletter to get our latest content, exclusive free printables, learning activities, and ideas for celebrating with your kids all year