Summertime Strawberry Chicken Salad is a post by contributing writer Alicia of Your Vibrant Family.
One of my favorite parts of summertime and warmer weather? Strawberries are in season!
Oh, how these delicious morsels beautifully enliven so many dishes, especially salads.
Today I want to share with you one of my family’s favorite strawberry salad recipes:
Summertime Strawberry Chicken Salad
The slight heat from the chili powder, cumin and cilantro (along with the earthy smoothness of the black beans) pack this salad with loads of southwest-inspired flavor. Strawberries balance and brighten the flavors, while adding a fresh taste that sings of summer.
Serve up this delicious recipe on a lazy Sunday afternoon while you’re hanging by the pool. Or bring it to that summer barbecue you’re invited to next weekend. It’s pretty much good anytime!
- 6-8 c. spinach leaves, cleaned and chopped
- 6 ounces chopped chicken or turkey lunchmeat
- 1 (16 oz.) container strawberries
- ¼ loaf leftover garlic bread (here's my family's recipe)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado, chopped
- handful fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 small lemons, juiced
- ⅓ c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes or powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- Add the spinach, chicken, strawberries, black beans and avocado to the bowl.
- Chop the garlic bread into small, bite size pieces resembling croutons. Add them to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad and the dressing together. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!