I went to a small get together this evening with a church group that I belong to that was having a farewell for one of our priests who is being transferred. I had a problem though — I needed to bring along food, but wouldn’t have much time to put it together (at all!).
Thanks to cucumber sandwiches, I had a beautiful platter of food to take along with me with just about 15 minutes (or less) worth of effort. As a matter of fact, when everyone saw that I brought cucumber sandwiches, they all acted like I had brought something quite fancy along. (I didn’t admit to slapping them together as I was almost literally running out the door.)
For a quick, but lovely, addition to summer get together, this was my simple “recipe” for cucumber sandwiches:
- One loaf of Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White or Wheat Bread
- One (or one and a half) tubs of Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
- One large cucumber
- Peel and slice cucumber.
- Apply a layer of cream cheese to all slices of bread. (Having cream cheese on each slice of bread helps to avoid the bread getting soggy from the cucumber.)
- Put cucumbers on one slice of bread (for each sandwich). I usually do four slices per sandwich. You'll then put on piece of bread on top that has only cream cheese on it. (So, each sandwich has four cucumber slices, for example.)
- Slice the sandwiches in triangles, because that's a rule with cucumber sandwiches, right?
- Display on a pretty plate, and be prepared to have your friends ask if they need to hold up a
- pinkie finger while they eat your sandwiches.
What are some of your quick and easy things to put together if you have to dash out the door at the last minute?
photo by Alex Mahan
Latest posts by Angie Kauffman (see all)
- LEGO Star Wars and Droid Tales: Fun for the Whole Family - August 30, 2015
- Saint Monica and Saint Augustine Word Search and Maze Printables - August 24, 2015
- Saint Monica and Saint Augustine Coloring Pages Printables - August 22, 2015