Finding balance and maintaining your household when your husband travels for business is tough work. Sometimes it’s just a relaxed few days that I get to spend with my girls, but on those long trips being resilient is the key.
Here are few pointers that I have learned along the way to help keep your sanity:
For My Kids:
1. I try to stick to their normal weekly schedule.
2. Extra hugs and kisses from Mommy and a phone call from Daddy may be all they need.
3. Each girl gets to pick a night to have a sleep over with Mommy. It’s special one-on-one fun time!
4. Instead of eating out, which is easy to do when he’s gone, we enjoy cooking a nice meal together a few times a week and setting a fancy table.
For My Husband:
1. Communication is the key during a long business trip. A simple phone call, E-mail, or text can really lift his spirits.
2. A nice home-cooked meal when he arrives home, as he may often dine out when he travels.
3. This doesn’t always happen, but a clean house and a kiss, no matter how grumpy you are, is a nice way to say welcome home.
1. Communication! I enjoy those “honey, I love you” texts in the middle of the day. I want to feel special even when he’s not around.
2. A long lunch play-date at the park is the perfect way to free-range your kids while you get the chance to chat it up with a good friend.
3. Keeping a routine is easier said than down when he’s gone. I tend to stay up way too late like I’m back in college. I learned quickly that this does not work. Normal bedtime and wake time keeps everything running smoothly.
4. A good strong cup of coffee is always helpful.
5. Remember that everyone can use a quiet time, even Mom.
Do you do anything special or have great tips for when you husband might have to be out of town?
Karen is a stay-at-home Mom to Olive 6, and Jem 3, with a little one on the way. She enjoys being Queen of the castle, but life is always better when her King is around.
photo by smemon87