Oh, lunch time. It comes every afternoon, and yet it still often catches me by surprise as the afternoon is beginning to slip away. (We tend to eat lunch closer to 2 pm. Go figure.)
This means we have a tendency to try to grab something quickly. (We typically add in some fruit, yogurt, etc.)
Here are ten of our go-to lunch ideas at our house:
1. Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwiches/Lunch Meat Sandwiches – everyone likes a different type of sandwich, so I ask them to join in with the sandwich making.
2. Grilled Cheese – Yes, I know I just said sandwiches. But, we feel like grilled cheese is just a bit different than your normal, run of the mill sandwich.
3. English Muffin Pizzas – I think I like these better than the kids do. We just eat cheese pizzas, and we use whole wheat English muffins.
4. Leftovers – We tend to let Eric take leftovers to work. However, from time to time, we have enough leftovers to feed all of us at home the next day.
5. Spaghetti -Even though this always seems like a dinner dish to me, my kids love it and I can easily throw it together when we skip any meat. (Or, I could brown the meat ahead of time, if I wanted to.)
6. Scrambled Eggs – Easy, inexpensive, and all of the kids like them.
7. Packaged/Frozen Meals – I know, it’s not good. But sometimes when the kids come to the grocery store with me, I let them pick out a frozen meal to be able to have later.
8. Bosco Breadsticks – We love these Market Day bread sticks. They’re also really excellent for times when we’ve had friends over.
9. Pancakes or Waffles – Syrup sometimes makes the table messy, but at least we got to enjoy a nice warm meal.
10. Hodge Podge of This and That – A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Just whatever is around that seems like it will go together. Or, you know, maybe not. As long as it’s not too heavy all in one food group, I’m pretty easy going.
What are your favorite quick lunches for kids?
‘); // ]]>